Sunday, April 09, 2006

Brotherly Love

"How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" Psalm 133:1

I know I am a blessed mommy.

I have two little boys who genuinely like to play together. They often give each other hugs and kisses, and get along very well. I can honestly say that I have seldom seen sibling rivalry in our home.

What is the secret to our success?

When I figure it out I'll let you know! Ben and I recognize that we are fairly new to this whole parenting game. We've only had three-odd years of experience as "Mommy and Daddy". We are hardly seasoned veterans!

However, I have a few theories as to why our boys are such good buds:

1. We pray every day that they will grow up to be best friends.

2. Our boys are only 22 months apart in age, and are interested in many of the same toys and activities.

3. We try to be vigilant about nipping any hint of sibling rivalry in the bud. We never let mean or hurtful behavior slide.

Will our boys always get along smashingly? I am sure that their relationship will flow through many seasons. But I pray that they will be best buddies to one another, just as Ben and his brother are best friends. I pray that my boys will go through childhood, the teen years, marriage and raising a family together. I pray that they will walk through all the stages of life as friends.

I'm starting to learn that the best friends you can have in life are the ones found in your own family. They are the people you will spend your whole life with. I believe it is difficult to maintain outside friendships that last a lifetime --- but you will always have your family. That is why we choose to make family relationships a priority in our home.

No comments: