Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Almighty List

I confess ... I am a compulsive list-maker.

I keep lists of many things: shopping items, daily chores, phone messages, fix-it projects --- you name it. I find, especially these days, I must diligently record items on my lists before the fleeting thoughts jump out of my sleep-deprived brain. I don't know how I could function without a pen and paper.

I have one extra-special list at the moment. I call it The Almighty List of Jobs that Must Be Finished Before the Baby Arrives. It is basically a list of odd jobs --- things such as "hem bedroom curtains" and "wash car seat cover". You know, really vital stuff.

As I approach my 37th week of pregnancy, I have been taken over by an increasing sense of urgency. I need to get my Almighty List done! Therefore, this week I made it my goal to complete one or two items each day.

But I am running into a couple of problems.

It seems my Almighty List is taking on a life of its own. Rather than growing shorter, every day it mysteriously seems to get longer. I will cross one item off and, somehow, two more will take its place. I find it a most puzzling phenomenon.

As well, I have come to believe that my energy levels are inversely proportional to the length of my list. These days I spend an embarrassing amount of time languishing on the couch like a beached whale. I think the atmosphere in my house must be growing thicker, or something. What else could explain the feeling that my feet are trudging through sticky mud all day?

So I have now resigned myself to a difficult conclusion --- My Almighty List may never be finished.

Yes, it is good to chip away at it a bit every day. At the same time, our precious babe will arrive whenever she is ready --- whether or not my list is completed. The final weeks of pregnancy are not a time to be stressing over odd jobs!

I think I am okay with that.

But maybe I have time to squeeze in just one more tiny job before bed. It would sure feel good to cross off another item from my list.

No comments: