Saturday, May 13, 2006

Window Washing

I was standing at the bathroom sink pouring a bucket of grungy, brown water down the drain. I rinsed the scum from the bottom of the pail and turned my attention to the cleaning rag. It was a tattered piece of terry cloth. What once was a pretty pink towel was now stained a muddy, gray colour. My rag was filthy. Good for nothing. It was too dirty to even be useful for cleaning. As much as I tried, I could not rinse the stains from the cloth.

I was reminded of the following verse:

All of us are like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags...
Isaiah 64:6

I could scrub forever, but my dirty cleaning rag would never become the rosy pink towel it once was. In the same way, nothing I can do in my own power can make me clean before God. My attempts at righteousness are like grungy, disgusting rags. As much as I try, my mucky attempts at earning God's favour are totally worthless.

If I were to continue using my yucky cloth to wash windows, the glass would come out streaked and cloudy. Window washing requires a clean cloth and clear water. If I want to truly reflect God's grace in my life, I cannot continue to rely on my own righteousness. I must let God wash me by the power of His grace.

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior
Titus 3: 5-6

This is what is so amazing: God knows that I am gross, dirty and disgusting. He sees my every blemish and fault. He knows every sin I've ever committed. My feeble attempts at righteousness are like limp, smelly rags before Him. But He loves me anyway. Extravagantly. Abundantly. Through Jesus my sins are washed away.

Though I don't deserve it, Christ has washed me whiter than snow (Psalm 51:7). As I daily submit to God, I pray that I will become a tool He can use. I pray that the window of my life will clearly reflect His love and mercy. And I thank God every day for the wonderful gift of grace He has given me.

No comments: