Monday, May 29, 2006

Wonderful Waterbirth

My first two children were born in the hospital into the hands of an obstetrician. I had a satisfactory hospital experience both times, but for this baby I wanted something different. God willing, my third child will be born at home with the assistance of a midwife.

Not only am I planning for a homebirth, but I hope to labour and deliver my baby in a pool of warm water. I have long been interested in waterbirth. However, I never really believed it was something I would try myself. It is only in the past couple of weeks that I finally decided I would attempt a waterbirth.

My preschooler is absolutely fascinated by the fact that his baby sister will be born in an inflatable "fishy pool" in the middle of the kitchen. He is terribly excited. Every day he asks, "Can the baby be born today, Mommy? Pleeeeeese?"

I am pretty excited myself! I have gathered all of my homebirth supplies. They are neatly stored away in a large laundry basket in the nursery room closet. I have towels, plastic sheets, a flashlight, bowls, bags, a kitty litter scoop (I leave its purpose to your imagination), and many other supplies ready and waiting.

I have run into one snag, though. I am having a terrible time figuring out how to attach a garden hose to our kitchen faucet. Go figure. I bought a hose and faucet adapter at Canadian Tire. The hose fit on the adapter, but the adapter would not screw on to the tap. So I bought a new adapter at the Home Depot. Now the adapter fits perfectly on my faucet, but the hose is the wrong size.

Arrrrrg!

It is too much for my pregnant brain to deal with. I believe it is my husband's turn to make the trek, once again, to Home Depot. And if worse comes to worse, duct tape is always an option.

Ahhh, the joys of preparing for a waterbirth!

No comments: