Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Iris Incident

This morning I took two excited young boys over to my friend's house for a play date. According to my preschooler, this particular house is "the most fun ever". I would have to agree. My friend is blessed with a large backyard, a play room full of toys, and two energetic young men of her own. Play date paradise!

Alas, all good things must come to an end. By noon my boys were wearing thin and it was time to head for home.

As we (slowly) made our way to the van, my friend asked if I would like a bunch of irises to take home. She has hundreds of the lovely purple flowers blooming in her front yard. She proceeded to cut several long stems for me, and wrapped them in damp paper towels.

To my horror, my three-year-old saw the cut flowers and began haphazardly snapping off blooms for his own "bouquet". Thankfully, my friend is an easy-going mom and allowed my little man to take home a bloom of his very own.

I eventually managed to corral my boys into the van and strap them into their car seats. I then carefully piloted the "mommy mobile" toward home. Every so often I would glance in the rear view mirror and catch a glimpse of my preschooler admiring his "pretty flower".

I thought to myself, "I am a blessed mommy. We've had a lovely morning playing with friends. And what beautiful flowers we now have to brighten our home. The sun is shining, the weather is warm. God truly is the Master of creation ... "

My musing was interrupted by crunching sounds from the back seat.

I turned to glance behind me.

My preschooler was happily eating his "pretty flower".

We all enjoy God's creation in our own special way, I suppose.

No comments: