Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Frame of Reference

I went into my doctor's office today to receive some blood test results. Nothing serious, not to worry. My iron levels have just gotten low and I'm anemic. My doctor prescribed some iron supplements, and in a couple weeks I should be doing great.

Here's the interesting thing --- according to my doctor and to the numbers on the blood test I should be feeling exhausted. But I don't. I'm tired at times, yes. Now that I'm mostly over the horrible cold, though, I feel pretty normal.

So I'm left wondering .... am exhausted but I just don't know it? Am I in denial?

Over the past few months I have dramatically altered my daily routines and activities to cope with the challenges of late pregnancy and life with a newborn. Most days I stay close to home with the children. I take a nap every afternoon. When I'm feeling tired I spend the morning on the couch, snuggling Baby and reading books to the boys. Every day is pretty much like the next in the Inkster home.

So, am I just doing a great job of conserving my energy? Or are my daily tasks and routines so entrenched that I don't notice when I am tired? Have I become used to running on half a tank, and as a result my definition of "exhausted" has changed?

I guess I'll find out once the iron pills start doing their job. Who knows, maybe I'll gain boundless new stores of energy --- the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound and all that. Hey, I'd settle for the ability to chase after an active toddler.

No comments: