Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Helpful Hint

I am hardly a fashion maven, but the other day I learned a little fashion trick I'd like to share.

I've been frustrated by my wardrobe options lately. Because I am nursing a young baby my bustline is, shall we say, greatly enhanced. My tummy is also still somewhat squishy. It seems that all of the shirts in my closet fit too short and show off my belly button.

(On a side note: A couple of days ago my preschooler commented, "Mommy, your belly button looks all stretched out." I tried to explain that it was because I'd had three babies in my tummy, but he didn't really get it. I suppose my bikini-wearing days are in the past...)

At any rate, I am not keen to show off my belly.

Earlier this week I listened to a Focus on the Family broadcast regarding modesty. The guest on the radio show shared a "secret weapon" for modest girls. She suggested going for the "layered look" by wearing a tank top under short shirts. However, she admitted that it is often a problem to find long white tanks.

Here's the secret hint: Go into the men's section of a department store and buy white undershirts. The men's tanks are cut longer than women's styles.

What a brilliant suggestion! This evening I bought three white tanks for $10.95 from the men's underwear section at Superstore. I tried the tanks on when I got home, and they are perfect! They're made of stretchy, form-fitting cotton, so they look nice under shirts, and the tanks are much longer than any women's styles I have found. I feel like I have a whole new wardrobe!

Suddenly, many of the unflattering shirts in my closet look trendy and cool. The change is amazing. Who knew that such a simple purchase could be so helpful?

So there you go, girls. Head to the men's section of the store and snap up some white tank tops. You'll be glad you made the investment!

No comments: