Sunday, September 17, 2006

Daily Bread
The Bible says that "man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God" (Deuteronomy 8:3).

Over the past few years, I have learned that reading my Bible every day is as necessary as eating my breakfast. I do not function well if I do not "fuel up" on the Word of God. On the days I do not make time to read my Bible I feel grumpy and irritable. I have less peace. I feel more tired and become angry more quickly.

God's Word keeps me centered. It fills me up and helps me to grow in wisdom. Reading the Bible every day helps me to be a better mom to my children, and a more loving wife to my husband.

However, I know I must be careful not to allow my Bible reading to become a rote exercise. God's Word is "living and active -- sharper than any two edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12). I must respect the words in my Bible as revelation from the very mouth of God. The Bible is His love letter to me, His child. It contains all the instructions I need for my everyday life.

I read the following quote last week from Boundless Webzine:

I remember reading in seminary a book on teaching the Bible, written by Dr. Howard Hendricks, a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary. In it he tells the story of a person who came to him one day and said, with a hint of pride, "I've been through the Bible 15 times, Dr. Hendricks!" I'll never forget Dr. Hendricks' response: "Wonderful! Now, how many times has the Bible been through you?"

I will continue to read my Bible every day. But more importantly, I pray that God's words will soak into my being --- that I will absorb them into my heart, mind and spirit. What better way to become more like Jesus than to bask in his Word?

No comments: