Sunday, September 24, 2006

TV Tune Out

Ben and I had a terrific time this weekend in Fernie. We stayed in a gorgeous condo right on the ski hill. Our suite was beautiful --- cozy and well-decorated. We came home feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.

Our condo had a comfy sitting area, complete with large, leather wing-back chairs. I spent most of the weekend curled up in one of the chairs, wrapped in a fleecy, brown blanket. The chairs were arranged in front of a fireplace and on the mantle sat a slick flat-screen TV.

Ben and I don't have a TV at home, by choice. We have several computers and a high-speed internet connection. We don't need a TV as well.

We also know our own weaknesses. If we did own a television we would waste far too much time sitting in front of the tube. This weekend alone I'm certain I watched more TV than I have for the past year. (I'd estimate we had the TV on for about six hours yesterday.)

We did watch some cool shows, though. Mostly things on the Discovery Channel --- How It's Made and Mythbusters. Ben also watched several episodes of Farscape on DVD.

However, I am very glad to come home to my quiet, TV-free house. Because I don't watch TV I have time to pursue other interests --- blogging and reading, music and exercising. If we had a TV, I'm sure I'd be sucked into watching for at least an hour every evening. I'm too weak. I wouldn't be able to stand up against the temptation.

But I have to admit, it was kind of nice to zone out in front of the tube for just one day.


No comments: