Saturday, January 27, 2007

Book Series Review

Annie's People
by Beverly Lewis


For a number of years I have enjoyed reading Beverly Lewis' novels. Her stories generally focus on Amish characters and are set in Pennsylvania. Lewis' latest series, Annie's People, consists of three volumes: The Preacher's Daughter, The Englisher and The Brethren.

Annie Zook is an Amish preacher's daughter caught between two worlds. God has gifted her with a talent for drawing and painting. However, her Old Order church forbids its members from creating fine art. She is torn between her love for art and loyalty to her family and community.

Beverly Lewis' novels are genuine and believable. Her attention to realistic detail makes the stories come alive. I especially like her vivid descriptions of authentic Amish cuisine. In fact, Beverly has also compiled a cookbook of Amish recipes. I was curious, so last week I also borrowed Beverly Lewis' Amish Heritage Cookbook from the library. Now I can make my own shoofly pie, if I'm ever so motivated.

After a busy day, Beverly Lewis' novels are a welcome diversion. Her characters are interesting and the stories take place in beautiful settings. The Annie's People series is a satisfying, relaxing read.

No comments: