Saturday, January 13, 2007

"Girly" Toys

"I want my Lego!!" our preschooler wailed from the backseat, "You forgot my Lego at home!"

"Whoa, calm down, dude," my husband called over his shoulder. He kept his eyes on the road as he carefully pulled our van into traffic.

"But you said I could bring my Lego to Grammy and Grandpa's," our son sobbed.

"Nooooo. I don't remember agreeing to that," Ben replied, "I think you said you were bringing your Lego, Buddy."

I turned slightly in my seat and joined the conversation. "Besides," I added, "Auntie V. has Lego you could play with. She has that girl Lego."

"I can't play with girl Lego!" our son protested, "It's too girly!!" He burst into a fresh flood of tears.

Ben and I glanced at one another, sighed, and continued the short trip to grandma and grandpa's.

As we pulled into the driveway, our son sniffled and dried his tears. He bounded out of the van and ran to the front door. Once inside, he threw off his coat and boots. Our boy scurried downstairs and quickly immersed himself in his grandma and grandpa's play room. Surrounded by cool toys, he rapidly forgot his Lego-induced tantrum.

A few minutes later our son emerged from the play room, smiling and content. Apparently, he had found an interesting new toy to occupy his attention...

Our little boy clutched a dainty baby doll in one hand and a small pink brush in the other. He lovingly brushed the doll's long, blonde hair.

My husband cleared his throat, "Glad to see you found a toy that wasn't too girly, Son."

Our preschooler laughed, hugged his doll, and happily ran downstairs to play.

No comments: