Saturday, February 17, 2007

The View from My Porch

My friend and I hiked through the streets of an affluent neighbourhood in suburban Calgary. We snooped through the yards of enormous half-constructed houses and toured a dazzling show home. One newly finished house caught our attention.

"Wow, look at that gorgeous wrap-around porch," I raved. The home's exterior was absolutely beautiful, with intricate stone detailing and a wide porch along the front and side.

"Bet the owners never use it," my friend replied.

I sighed. She was probably right. What type of family would live in such an extravagant house? I can imagine ... A family where both parents work at demanding, high-paying jobs. A family where the kids come home from school to an empty house. A family where the parents drive expensive vehicles, shutting the door of the triple-car garage without saying hi to the neighbours. A family where everyone is stressed and over-scheduled.

Not the type of family to spend a leisurely afternoon sipping lemonade on a gorgeous wrap-around porch.

Calgary is a crazy town these days. The economy is red-hot. Some people are suddenly making more money than they know what to do with. The real estate market is unbelievable, and most properties are grossly overvalued. Many Calgarians are caught up in living the big life. This is a city of affluence.

Ben and I are trying not to get caught up in the wave of prosperity sweeping our city. We figure the economic boom cannot last forever. Though we've often been tempted to upsize, we've chosen to be content with our comfortable condo for now.

Sometimes it's hard to see some of our friends buying large homes, driving fancy vehicles and taking extravagant vacations. We feel like we're being left behind. At the same time, we also often wonder ... What happens behind the closed doors of those large, impressive homes? How much stress is caused by a massive debt load? How many families are caught in a dual-income trap?

Someday I would love to live in a home with a wide wrap-around porch, but not at the expense of my children. Not at the expense of my marriage. Not at the expense of friends and relatives.

If ever God blesses me with a beautiful front porch, I intend to have the time to fully enjoy it.

No comments: