Tuesday, April 03, 2007


Mmmm ... Spicy!

It started as a simple project. (A simple project that took six weeks to complete.) Hooray and hallelujah, my little spice rack is finally finished.

Originally, I had planned to make magnetic spice jars and attach them to the side of the fridge. The space above our kitchen sink looked a bit forlorn, though, so I eventually ditched the magnetic jars idea.

Instead, I bought two unpainted 16-inch wooden shelves from Ikea ($4.95 each), two small bottles of acrylic craft paint ($0.89 each) and a can of silver spray paint ($5.95). I also re-purposed twelve clean baby food jars.

I really like contemporary country craft decor, and hoped to create a weathered, hand-painted look. I primed the wooden shelves in a rusty red shade and then applied a couple of thin top coats in ivory. The clean jar lids received several thin coats of silver spray paint.

I buy most of our spices in bulk, so I arranged my twelve favourites on my new rack. I especially enjoy the spices' rich greens, golds and reds against the backdrop of my sage walls and golden oak cupboards.

Here is the finished result:



For more great Tackle It Tuesday projects, please visit 5 Minutes for Mom.

1 comment:

My Trendy Tykes said...

What a neat idea!!!

Linda