Sunday, June 03, 2007

A to Z Bible Verses

I found a terrific resource in the May issue of Focus on the Family Canada magazine. It is a list of twenty-six Bible verses. The verses are especially easy for young children to memorize because the passages are short and correspond with each letter of the alphabet. Here are a few examples of the chosen scriptures:

A: All we like sheep have gone astray. (Isiah 53:6)

B: Be kind to one another. (Ephesians 4:32)

C: Children obey your parents, for this is the right thing to do. (Ephesians 6:1)

D: Don't fret or worry; it only leads to harm. (Psalm 37:8)

You can find the complete list here.

Scripture memorization is such an important spiritual discipline. I hate to confess, but I am not as diligent in this area as I should be. I need to sharpen my sword! I'm planning to learn these twenty-six verses right alongside my young kids. My hope is that scripture memorization will become an integral part of our family culture.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

No comments: