Thursday, July 12, 2007

Potato Puff Casserole

I almost feel embarrassed to be sharing this recipe. It is not organic or low in fat. The recipe uses several convenient short-cut ingredients. Not exactly healthy, made-from-scratch fine cuisine! At least it contains some veggies, and it's tasty and easy to prepare. I adapted this recipe from several I've seen on the internet. The kids love potato puffs, so I figure they're okay for an occasional treat. Serve this casserole with a large green salad to further increase the meal's the veggie content.

1 kg. lean ground beef
1 can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg. onion soup mix
2 C. frozen mixed vegetables
1, 1kg. bag frozen potato puffs

Brown meat in large skillet. Drain off fat. Combine cooked beef, mushroom soup, onion soup and frozen vegetables. Spread mixture evenly in a 9x13" glass baking dish. Arrange potato puffs neatly on top of beef mixture. Bake uncovered at 350F for 45 minutes, until potatoes are crispy and golden. Serves 6.

(Update: Potato puffs are "tater tots" or "mexi fries". They're those cylindrical, hashbrown-type fried potatoes.)

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi there fellow Calgarian!

What are potato puffs?? I think I've lost touch with my Canadian roots! Yikes. (I lived there from birth until 1993).

Sheila said...

Thanks for that clarification!