Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Unanswered Prayer

I've been slowly working my way through God on Mute by Pete Greig. This is one of those books that must be savoured, digested slowly, a few pages at a time. God on Mute addressed the thorny issue of unanswered prayer. Pete Greig writes about this difficult subject with candor, wisdom and sensitivity. He wrestles with challenging theological issues from a Biblical perspective.

Several chapters of God on Mute have engaged my heart. At the moment I am reading the middle section of the book, which deals with why prayers often seem to go unanswered. Pete Greig offers many explanations for unanswered prayer. In particular, I found his eighth point especially appealing:

"Some prayers aren't answered because God Himself is a greater answer than the thing we are asking for and He wants to use our sense of need to draw us into a deeper relationship with Himself."

To think --- the God of all creation desires a relationship with me. Me, with all my selfish flaws and imperfections. Me, nothing but a tiny speck in an infinite universe. God wants me to draw close to Him, like a small child might snuggle in the arms of her daddy.

To further illustrate his point, Pete Grieg shares the following old rabbinic story:

There is a king who has two sons. Each of them come to receive his gifts from the royal table. The first son appears at his father's doorway, and as soon as he is seen, his request is granted. The father holds this son in low esteem, and is annoyed by his presence. The king orders that the gifts be handed to his son at the door so that he will not approach the table. Then the king's beloved son appears. The father takes great pleasure in this son's arrival and does not want him to leave too quickly. For this reason the king delays granting his request, hoping that the son will then draw near to him. The son comes closer, and he feels the father's love so deeply that he does not hesitate to stretch forth his own hand to the royal table.

I am deeply comforted by the thought that God loves me and desires a close relationship. Even when it feels as though my prayers are going unanswered, I now know God is saying, "Come to Me and tarry at My table." He is a loving father who delights in spending time with His children.

"Blessed are those you chose to bring near to live in your courts!" (Psalm 65:4)


No comments: