Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Recommended Reading:

The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking With Jesus
Joni Eareckson Tada

I stumbled upon this book in our local library, and on a whim I brought it home. I was vaguely familiar with Joni Eareckson Tada's life story and ministry. I thought her memoirs might prove to be an interesting read.

To describe them as merely interesting is a gross understatement.

Joni is an amazing woman of faith and her life is a powerful testimony of God's love and faithfulness. Joni is also a gifted writer and an amazing storyteller. She vividly describes rich memories from her childhood, including a detailed account of her tragic diving accident at the age of seventeen.

Joni Eareckson Tada is a quadriplegic and has been confined to a wheelchair for her entire adult life. However, she has not allowed her significant disability to hinder her from serving God or other people. If anything, Joni credits her disability with forcing her to rely heavily on the Lord's provision each and every day. She simply could not function without the supernatural strength of God and the physical support of loving family and friends.

I am not unaware that God placed this book across my path this week --- a week when I have felt tired and inadequate. His timing is perfect and His love for me is sure. Joni's compelling story of suffering bolstered my own faith in God's perfect provision. God is surely chipping away at my perfectionistic and self-sufficient tendencies. This book helped me to grasp the Lord's unfailing love, even in the midst of difficult circumstances.

This book is deep and engaging read. I highly recommend it to Christians who wish to be challenged in their faith.


No comments: