Sunday, February 03, 2008

Menu Plan Monday
February 4, 2008

Last week I was blessed with several nights away from the kitchen. Everyday chores are becoming a bit exhausting for me, so I appreciated the break.

Our family enjoyed last week's Spud Special Soup a great deal. The recipe was super-simple to prepare. I had intended to add some leftover turkey sausage to our soup, but I think the sausage had been in the fridge a bit too long. It was blue and fuzzy. (Delicious.) Instead, I pureed the potato soup in the blender until it was smooth and creamy.

Homemade soup is a favourite meal for our family. It is also a favourite game. Our kids love to make soup in their play kitchen. I'm convinced their "soup game" is inspired by the movie Ratatouille. Our three-year-old has a well-loved stuffed rat, and his toy often plays a prominent role in the kids' game.

Last week our five-year-old son helped me cook the Spud Special Soup. As we sat at the table enjoying our meal, he loudly proclaimed, "This soup tastes like rat patootie!"

I think the insult was unintentional.

At any rate, here is my proposed menu plan for the upcoming week. I am recycling the layered taco pie from last week. (I have a large stash of cooked taco meat in my freezer.)

Monday: No cooking! (Supper at my parents')
Tuesday: Layered taco pie, brown beans, corn, green salad
Wednesday: Encore performance
Thursday: Orange-molasses glazed chicken, brown rice, steamed green beans with almonds, cabbage salad
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: Lasagna, green salad, cheese toast, saskatoon berry pie (with berries from my freezer)
Sunday: No cooking! (Supper with Ben's parents)

If you would like to see other great menu plans, check out Menu Plan Monday on Org Junkie.

No comments: