Wednesday, March 26, 2008


Book Review:

Deceptively Delicious
by Jessica Seinfeld

This is a very cool book. A very sneaky book. A book about getting vegetables into kids' bellies (without them even realizing it).

In a nut shell, Deceptively Delicious is a cookbook filled with creative versions of everyday recipes. Each recipe incorporates a sneaky veggie puree --- a hidden shot of fibre and vitamins. Some of the suggested recipes seem quite outlandish, but are intriguing nonetheless. I am itching to try them out. Some of Jessica Seinfeld's most interesting suggestions include:

  • Brownies (with carrot and spinach)
  • Chocolate chip cookies (with chickpeas)
  • Banana bread (with cauliflower)
  • Homemade ketchup (with carrot)
  • Macaroni and cheese (with butternut squash or cauliflower)
Jessica Seinfeld includes instruction for preparing and freezing vegetable purees. Some veggies are simple to prepare (like avocados) but others require a bit more work. I think I'll buy a few jars of organic baby food to try in some recipes before I commit to making my own purees. (Carrots, squash, sweet potato and peas are all easy to find in the baby food aisle.)

I also enjoyed Deceptively Delicious' vintage cutesy feel and gorgeous photography. Nearly every recipe is accompanied by a luscious photograph. (And cookbooks without pictures are just plain boring, aren't they?)

Check out Jessica Seinfeld's website for more information about her book.

Here's to all you sneaky moms out there!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I made the "rice krispie" squares and they were quite yummy. I took them to church and got a kick out of people eating them not knowing the healthy ingredients!

I'd like to try the brownies but making spinach puree seems like a lot of work. :)