Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A Peek at My Bookshelf

This afternoon the kids and I spent some time at the library. I love visiting the library because it's a bit like shopping ... except it's free. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt", searching for hidden treasures. If I could, I'd spend thousands of dollars buying books. The library is a far less expensive substitute!

Last night I finished Jan Karon's latest novel, Home to Holly Springs. It was a terrific read, though certainly darker than her bucolic Mitford series. I have now started chewing through Bodie and Brock Thoene's epic Zion Chronicles series. As a fan of Christian historical fiction, I am almost embarrassed to admit I haven't read these iconic books.

I rarely have time to browse the library stacks with the children in tow. I like to search the library catalogue online instead. I have a long list of favourites saved under my online library profile. Every week or two I select a few favourites and place my holds. This week my picks included a new Taste of Home cookbook, Randy Alcorn's Dominion and a collection of short stories from Karen Kingsbury.

Surprisingly, I've waded through a good dozen books over the past couple of months. What else is there to do during a marathon nursing session in the wee hours of the morning? Now that Baby has become an efficient nurser, I must catch my books in fits and starts. I am looking forward to settling into our new home this summer and finding time to eat a few more good books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself. I found you on CWO. I thought the title of your blog was indicative of a fellow book lover and I was right! I love reading though I buy my books rather than go to the library. I blog about the books I read. Hope you can stop by for a visit on day!!