Sunday, November 16, 2008

Menu Plan Monday
November 17, 2008

Here I sit on Sunday night, looking forward to a new week. Last week's menu plan worked out quite well. In particular, the southwestern bean soup was a great hit. I will definitely add the recipe to our repertoire of family favourites.

Southwestern Bean Soup

(adapted from Taste of Home)

1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
dash cayenne pepper
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 can (19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (19 oz.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (19 oz.) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (15 oz. each) spicy diced tomatoes, undrained
4 C. chicken broth
1 1/2 C. fresh or frozen corn

In dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add cumin, chili powder, cayenne and cook for one minute. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for five minutes or until heated through. Makes 12 servings.

***************************

This week I'm planning to try a couple new things. The coconut chicken is a new recipe, one I found tonight through Org Junkie. As well, our family has fallen in love with the grilled wraps at the mall. I don't have a panini press at home but I'm going to use my waffle iron to make them instead. (Our wraps will have grids all over them!)

Here's my proposed menu plan for the upcoming week:

Monday: No cooking! (Supper at my sister's new house)
Tuesday: Beef barley soup, homemade bread
Wednesday: Coconut crockpot chicken, basmati rice, steamed cauliflower
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Grilled turkey wraps, fruit salad
Saturday: Clean out the fridge
Sunday: No cooking! (Supper with Ben's family)

Check out Org Junkie for further menu planning goodness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, that coconut chicken sounds lovely! I'm off dairy right now - our little guy can NOT handle ANY dairy - no ice cream tsk tsk, and I am always looking for creamy recipes. I think I will try the recipe this week as well!
Thanks,
Jamie

Prairie Girl said...

oh wow I agree, the coconut chicken sounds great! And I'm always game for crockpot meals. Let us know how it goes :)