Saturday, May 27, 2006

Book Review:

Ten Minutes from Normal
Karen Hughes

I confess a lack of knowledge about American political figures. Before reading this book I had not heard of Karen Hughes, nor knew of her leadership position within the White House. I was drawn to read her autobiography because of its tag line:

"Counselor to the President. Wife and Mother. The woman who left the White House to put family first, and moved back home to Texas."

My first thoughts as I read the cover of the book were, "Here is a woman who seems to have her priorities straight. I would like to learn more."

As her story progresses, Mrs. Hughes values and beliefs become increasingly clear. She is a talented woman of faith, trying to humbly serve as a Christian in the high-pressure world of American politics. Her priorities are molded by her love of God, her family, and her country. She is not held captive by a quest for power or prestige.

"Work is what you do; it is not who you are. My identity is not based on any title or position or proximity to power. I may have those things for a while, but they are no more or less important than my other roles as wife, mother, friend, Bible-study partner." (p. 324)

Mrs. Hughes is a woman who stewards great influence and power within the White House. She is a confidant of the President of the United States. Yet, she does not use her autobiography as a vehicle to boast of her own accomplishments. Instead, Mrs. Hughes acknowledges God as the source of her strength.

She closes the book with the following inspirational thought:

"I'm certain I'm going to heaven, not because I am faithful, but because God is. Jesus promised, and I believe: no one can snatch me from His hand. I am confident that by the time I get there, Jesus will have nurtured in me a longing for peace, a liking for harmony, a sense of contentment that I can only dream of in this earthly life." (p. 335)

Ten Minutes from Normal is an enlightening read. I would recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the men and women serving as America's leaders.





No comments: