Friday, April 21, 2006

I'm Dreaming of a ..... Large Horse??

I have read that pregnant women often have vivid and imaginative dreams.

I suppose there are a number of reasons for this. Pregnancy hormones do all sorts of weird and wonderful things to a woman's mind and body. I have also heard the theory that a pregnant woman can have a lot on her mind, so her subconscious works through issues within dreams. As well, I think some of the strange things pregnant women eat may contribute to unusual dreaming.

That said, I have a puzzling dream to share.

This afternoon I took my customary mid-day nap. As I snored away, curled around my mountain of pillows, the following scene played out in my subconscious ...

I was in labour in a hospital room. I was the only person in the room, and I do not know where Ben was. However, I was not alone. There was also a large, chocolate brown horse in the room with me. The horse was very calm and placid. He was just standing there. I was having labour pains and was standing and rocking my hips, hugging the neck of the horse. His hair was very soft and thick --- not unlike the fur of a teddy bear. I remember thinking, "This is such a wonderful horse. I feel so safe with him."

This dream is weird for two reasons.

First, I will tell you a little known secret. In real life I am scared of horses. I know, I know --- how can I be an Albertan and frightened of horses? Let me share a story ...

When I was thirteen I took riding lessons at summer camp. I was assigned to a clever, old mare. I was just learning to properly bridle and saddle a horse. When I pulled the cinch strap to tighten the saddle in place the old mare played a dirty trick on me. She puffed up her sides with air. As I was riding, of course, she let the air out. The saddle started to slip and I slid right under the horse's belly. I was terrified! Ever since, I have not trusted horses.

There is a second reason why my dream is unusual. Though my first two boys were born in the hospital, for this birth we are planning to stay home with a midwife. To tell the truth, I have not had any terrible hospital experiences. I am not opposed to going to the hospital again. At the same time, I am very much looking forward to staying home for this labour and delivery. Seeing a midwife has been a vastly different experience from visiting an obstetrician in a hospital. Whenever I visualize this third birth, the baby is born at home and not in a hospital room.

So I am left puzzling over this strange dream. Does it mean anything? Certainly, I could read many interpretations into it. However, suffice it to say I think the dream was mostly influenced by the leftover smokie with spicy mustard I ate for lunch. (Or maybe it was the ice cream sandwich ... )

No comments: