Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mom Time

I did some quick arithmetic the other day and came up with the following statistic: When our new baby is born in June I will have been pregnant or breastfeeding (or both) for 50 consecutive months.

I enjoy being pregnant, and I have come to love babies. I will admit, though, that the "young motherhood" stage of life is often exhausting. Therefore, I would like to offer my own "top ten list" of affordable pick-me-ups for tired moms:

10. Buy a fun nail polish colour at the drug store and give yourself a home pedicure. (And if your pregnant belly prohibits you from reaching your own toes, have your dear husband do it for you!) Cost: $3.

9. Put the kids to bed and have a long soak in the tub with a good book. Cost: free

8. Call a girlfriend on the spur-of-the-moment and go to Tim Hortons for an large decaf double-double. Cost: $2

7. Load the kids into the double stroller and take a walk out in the sunshine. Cost: free

6. Put the little ones to bed early and spend an hour browsing in the library. Cost: free

5. Ask Grandma and Grandpa to babysit and go out for pasta with your handsome husband. Cost: $20

4. Go to the YMCA and work up a good sweat. Cost: monthly membership (which is free if you become a volunteer)

3. Take the whole family to the park after supper to play ball or frisbee. Cost: free

2. Read The Message: Remixed version of the Bible. Cost: $35 (or free if you borrow it from the library)

1. Send the children to Grandma and Grandpa's for a sleep-over and plan a romantic night with your husband. Cost: free if you stay home (but every once in a while I highly recommend splurging on a hotel room)



No comments: