Friday, April 14, 2006

Life

This morning was a scramble. We were running late for the Good Friday service at church, and I needed to put breakfast on the table quickly. I reached into the pantry and pulled out an unopened box of cereal. The label on the box proclaimed one word in bold letters: LIFE.

I paused. I had been so caught up in the morning's hustle and bustle that I had forgotten the purpose of this special day. Jesus died so that I may have life.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

The Bible describes the Christian walk as a marathon, not a sprint. I pray that as I run the race of faith I will not overlook Jesus' sacrifice for me. I pray that I will not get so caught up in the busyness of living that I forget the reason why I have life.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, my God.
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small.
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

"When I Survey the Wondrous Cross", Isaac Watts (1707)

No comments: