Sunday, April 23, 2006


The Little Monkey

My toddler will officially be one-and-a-half next Monday. He is a fun-loving, sunshiny little boy. He has an impish, outgoing personality. His curly blonde hair is his trademark, and if I had my way I would never, ever cut it. (Contrary to my husband's pleas!)

Over the past week Mr. Mischief has learned a new skill --- climbing. Watch out! He has discovered that he can drag around a kitchen chair, climb up onto it, and play with fascinating things when Mommy is not paying attention.

This week I caught him crawling across the kitchen table, pulling photos and magnets off of the fridge, and rearranging the forks and spoons in the cutlery drawer. My little guy also enjoys pushing the "page" button on the phone cradle. He knows how to flip on the coffee maker, and has attempted to operate the microwave oven. He's into everything!

A few days ago I left the boys alone for two minutes to use the washroom. When I returned to the kitchen, I found that they had pulled a chair over to the counter. Two little boys were standing on the chair side-by-side with tell-tale brown rings around their mouths. Our bowl of chocolate Easter eggs was missing from its perch on top of the microwave.

With great difficulty I swallowed a smile. In my most stern "mommy voice" I said, "What are you doing?"

"Just eating chocolates," my preschooler replied.

The Toddler looked up at me with wide, innocent eyes that seemed to say, "It wasn't my idea."

I really wanted to take a picture of the two of them, but decided to restrain myself. Instead, I played the part of the "disappointed Mommy". The Preschooler was sentenced to a time-out and given the punishment of "no more sweets for an entire day". My toddler was banished to his play pen.

I love that play pen.

Some days it is the only way I can keep my Little Monkey from climbing right into the dishwasher.

No comments: