Monday, April 24, 2006


Super Soup

On Easter weekend my mother-in-law gave me the remnants of the holiday turkey. I put the bones in the freezer, intending to make soup. (And then I promptly forgot about them). This morning I corrected my memory lapse and pulled out my trusty stock pot. Nothing beats a hot bowl of homemade soup with freshly-baked bread!

Here is my basic turkey (or chicken) soup recipe. I usually add "extras", but this recipe is a good place to start. I always double the ingredients.

Turkey Vegetable Soup (from Company's Coming: Holiday Entertaining)

1 turkey carcass, broken up
14 C. water
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar

3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, sliced
1 tbsp. instant chicken bouillon powder
1 tbsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 C. long grain rice
2 C. chopped turkey

Put turkey carcass, water, bay leaves, salt, pepper and sugar into large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove carcass. Discard bay leaves. Return any bits of meat to pot. Discard bones.

Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes until all vegetables are cooked. Taste for seasoning. Add more water if too thick. Makes about 15 cups.

A little note: I save my empty plastic peanut butter containers. With their wide mouths and screw-top lids, I find them perfect for freezing soups and stews.

No comments: