Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sweet, Sweet Sleep

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:29-31

"... for He grants sleep to those He loves."
Psalm 127:2b

I am the type of person who requires a great deal of sleep. In order to function well I need 9 -10 hours of sleep per day. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?

I have read several articles that say most people operate on a "sleep debt". Our society does not seem to value proper rest. We are always pushing and striving to fill every minute of the day. We are compelled to produce more, to experience more, to accomplish more. It is a badge of honour to say, "I only got 4 hours of sleep last night, but I feel fine."

But is this God's best for us? The Bible says that sleep is a gift from the Lord, and that He gives rest to the weary. Right at the beginning of the Bible it says that "on the seventh day He rested from all His work" (Genesis 2:2). Even God, the Creator of the Universe, needed to rest!

I run a busy household and have two active little boys. How do I get the rest I require? I have a nap every afternoon. I've been blessed with small children who still take long naps. We all log around two hours of sleep each afternoon.

Yes, it has been a challenge to develop the discipline of napping. (And I do believe it is a discipline, not an indulgence). There are a million things I could do to fill two hours in the afternoon. However, I believe that I can be a better wife and mommy if I am well-rested. In fact, I find I can get more done in the remaining hours of the day because my energy is high and my head is clear.

Sleep is a very good thing. The Bible even says so! (And if you call my house between the hours of 1:00 and 3:30pm I will not answer the phone. I will be catching up on my zzzzzzzz's).

No comments: