Thursday, April 06, 2006

A TV-Free Existence

As newlyweds, Ben and I decided that our first home together would be TV-free. Six years later we still have not succumbed to the temptation to purchase a television. You know, I would be surprised if we ever do.

We both feel that TVs are time-sucking black holes. They are noisy, distracting and interrupt valuable family time. Is there anything really worth watching these days, anyway? And I know my own weakness. When I am tired at the end of the day, and the kids are quiet in bed, it would be awfully easy to kick back in front of the TV for a couple of hours. Instead, I am motivated to read good books, go to the YMCA and work out, or spend time with my gorgeous husband.

However, before I come across as overly pious, you must know that Ben and I are completely addicted to our high-speed internet connection. I don't know how we ever survived without a wireless network in the house. (There is something utterly luxurious about sprawling on the couch with a notebook on my lap, checking my e-mail or catching up on CBC news).

We also watch DVDs on the laptop from time to time. We have all three seasons of Star Trek the original series. The boys are allowed to watch a half-hour video on the computer every day at lunchtime. (I find it keeps life sane for the hour leading up to nap time). We are not totally cut off from popular media by any stretch.

There was one period of time that I really missed TV, though --- during the 2004 hockey playoffs.

I am not exactly a hockey fanatic, but I will admit to being caught up in "Flames fever" during that time. We had the flags on our van and everything. On game nights Ben and I would argue over who's turn it was to go to the gym, and then watch the game while sweating on the elliptical trainer.

We finally resorted to listening to games on AM radio. Now you have to realize --- Ben and I are far from hockey experts. Listening to the motor-mouthed announcer was like trying to discpiher a foreign language at times. What's a power play? You mean Kipper is not simply an adorable orange spotted dog? And what in the world is icing?

But we persevered right through to the Stanley cup finals, and groaned with the rest of the city when Calgary lost in game seven.

And now playoff season is right around the corner again.

No, we won't be rushing out to buy a TV this time around. The good old-fashioned radio will have to suffice. And now I know who Kipper and Iggy are, what the penalty box is, and that the crease is not part of a nicely ironed uniform.

Go, Flames, Go!

"Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to Your Word." Psalm 119:37

No comments: