Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Grocery Shopping With Little Ones

It's every parent's nightmare.

You are in the middle of a gargantuan shopping trip with Junior riding in the front of the grocery cart. Your little passenger decides he is bored (or tired or hungry or angry or whatever). He proceeds to throw a monumental "wobbly" in the middle of the cereal aisle. You still have half of your list left! What do you do? What if you have more than one cranky "Junior" along for the ride? Should you abandon your half-full grocery cart in the middle of the store and make a run for it? Should you smile sweetly, ignore your little barbarian, and continue shopping?

I take my two little boys grocery shopping at Superstore every week. We've certainly had our share of dicey shopping expeditions. However, these days grocery shopping is more of a pleasure than a chore. My boys actually behave most days in the store! Here are my hints for a successful shopping expedition:

1. Prepare a detailed, organized list the night before you shop.
I keep a running list of things I need. Throughout the week I add to my list. I also plan menus for all the next week's upcoming meals. The night before our shopping trip I write up a master list -- it has categories for items according to where they are located in Superstore. I find it only takes 5-10 minutes to organize my list, but it saves me a great deal of time in the long run.

2. Choose a weekly "shopping day".
I go grocery shopping once every seven days. Lately, my shopping day has been Thursday. (I find the store is less busy and the shelves are well-stocked on Thursdays). When I go shopping regularly I can get everything I need in one trip, it does not take too long, it is easier to track our weekly budget, and I do not run out of staple items between trips.

3. Choose a favourable, consistent time of day to shop.
I always take my boys grocery shopping in the morning. We leave right after breakfast dishes are cleaned up and arrive at the store by about 10am. My children are usually at their best in the mornings and the store is the least busy.

4. Keep the trip as short as possible.
My goal is to be in and out of the grocery store in less than an hour. If I have well-organized list, I can often be done in 45 minutes.

5. Feed your children before you go!
I always feed my boys a substantial, protein-laden breakfast on grocery shopping day (something like scrambled eggs or toast with peanut butter). My kids will burn off the energy from a quick bowl of cereal long before we are finished our shopping! As well, Mommy needs to eat a big breakfast too!

6. Make the trip "special" in some way.
When we go grocery shopping I allow my children to bring their "nanks" into the store. This is the only time they are allowed to have their blankies in a public place. They snuggle their "nanks" and are quiet and calm while I shop.

7. Set out your rules and expectations before you enter the store.
Before we get out of the van in the store parking lot, I talk to my children about how "good boys" behave in Superstore. I lay out my expectations for their behavior. They know what the rules are before we ever step foot into the store.

8. Reward good behavior.
My boys know that if they are good throughout the entire shopping trip, Mommy will buy a box of Smarties or Glossette Raisins at the checkout. They are allowed to share some of the candies as a special treat at lunch time. (I personally think they have more fun shaking the candies in the box than eating them, though!) The treat is not automatic every trip. If they do not behave, I will not buy them a box of candies.

9. Dress for success!
It may sound cheesy, but I think grocery shopping is easier when I feel good about how I look. I always dress nicely, do my makeup and hair, and try to walk with confidence. I make sure my boys look neat and tidy too.

10. Don't expect perfection.
Sometimes, despite the best preparation, my children still lose control in the grocery store. If they are being truly awful, I may leave the half-full cart at customer service and take them to the van for a time-out. This is very inconvenient, but it teaches my boys that Mommy is in charge and poor behavior is not tolerable. And I check my attitude on good days, too. I do not want to become prideful when my boys are behaving like angels! I could easily be the mom pushing a cart full of screaming children!

Grocery shopping with little children need not be a dreadful experience. When I am organized and prepared, my children are fueled-up and well-rested, and I consistently shop on the same morning of the week, grocery shopping is often a pleasure!

No comments: