Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Slowing Down

Wednesday night is my "sacred gym night". I always go to the gym on Wednesday night, unless I am prevented by life-threatening illness or a natural disaster. Lately my workouts have not been terribly taxing --- floating in the pool, walking around the track, or pedalling the recumbent bike --- but I still make the effort to go.

I have a confession to make.

I didn't go to the gym tonight.

I feel a little guilty.

I have six weeks to go until Baby arrives, and my body is telling me it is time to slow down. I am tired all the time, and exhausted when I am not tired. This pregnancy has mostly been a breeze. However, any normal woman is tired by this point in the third trimester.

To pacify my guilt, this evening I took my 18-month-old on a slooooow walk to the mailbox. We stopped to look at every bug and blade of grass, and to pet a friendly puppy. I held his chubby little hand in mine as he carefully toddled along beside me.

It was a lovely way to get my exercise.

No comments: