Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Beautiful

I think pregnant women are gorgeous. I love the curves of the pregnant body --- round hips, ripe belly, full breasts. Pregnancy is a beautiful season in almost any woman's life.

Two weeks ago, like a butterfly leaving a cocoon, I shed my pregnant body to take on a new form. I am always amazed at how rapidly a pregnant body reverts back to its non-pregnant state. In a very short time the uterus shrinks from the size of a watermelon to that of a pear. Organs displaced by the uterus migrate back to their original homes. Breasts begin producing copious volumes of nourishing milk.

The pregnant female form is often celebrated (or at least admired) in our culture. However, the post-partum body is considerably less desirable. Women who have recently given birth may feel fat and bemoan their "flabby abs". They may be self-conscious of their fuller figures --- wide hips and large breasts. Popular magazines exhort women to "get back in shape" as quickly as possible after giving birth.

Over the past week I've caught myself dreaming about "when I get my skinny body back". I've been sensitive about the fact that I am twenty pounds heavier than normal. I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit, and sometimes I feel sloppy and out of shape.

When I start to feel this way I stop and I take my discouraging thoughts captive.

I remember that God designed my body to be beautiful, whatever season of life I am in. I thank God that, in His wisdom, He gave me wide hips for birthing babies. I thank Him that I have good food to eat --- nourishment that pads my body and provides fuel for making my baby's milk. I even thank Him for my soft tummy.

This time with my newborn baby is precious. These weeks are so short. It will be time to hit the gym soon enough. For now I am concentrating on loving my little girl, resting from my pregnancy and birth, and making lots of quality milk.

The sit-ups can wait for another day. God created this body, and it is lovely.

No comments: