Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Beware: The Diaper-less Wonder

My toddler is in a "helpful" stage these days. He loves to do little jobs for Mommy. He will pick minuscule crumbs from the floor and throw them in the garbage. He enjoys putting away blocks and mini cars (and then dumping them out again). And he consistently throws his dirty clothes into the laundry hamper.

His favourite "job" of the moment is throwing away his own diapers. For whatever reason, my little guy loves to open the stinky diaper pail, hurl the soiled diaper in, and then gingerly replace the lid. He then shouts, "Yay!", and claps enthusiastically for himself.

It's terribly cute.

This evening we followed our usual bath-time ritual. Ben ran the tub. I set out fresh pajamas and got the boys undressed. My toddler threw the dirty clothes into the hamper. Then he tugged at his diaper. I removed it and he gleefully threw the diaper away.

My little guy ran toward the bathroom completely starkers. I opened the cupboard under the sink and retrieved a bucket of bath toys for the boys. My toddler demanded, "Bob, Bob!", so I also handed him an empty Bob the Builder bubble bath bottle.

I quickly checked the temperature of the water before hoisting the boys over the side of the tub. Too hot for little guys. With my youngest happily dipping his Bob the Builder bottle into the water, I flipped on the cold water tap for a moment.

Water splashed onto my foot.

"Buddy ..." I complained, "Be careful! You're getting Mommy's foot all wet. Keep the water in the tub."

Wait a second. The fluid spilling onto my foot was warm and wet, but it wasn't bath water ...

My toddler grinned up at me.

Serves me right for turning on the tap within earshot of my "Diaper-less Wonder"!

No comments: