Thursday, June 08, 2006

Recommended Reading

This week I finished two books. I would highly recommend each book to any Canadian mother-to-be:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin

The Midwifery Option: A Canadian Guide to the Birth Experience
by Miranda Hawkins & Sarah Knox

Ina May Gaskin is one of the most respected midwives in North America. Her first book, Spiritual Midwifery, is considered to be an essential text on natural childbirth. I read Spiritual Midwifery at the beginning of this pregnancy. I will admit --- I found it weird. Too "psychedelic" and "groovy" for my tastes. I was pleased to discover that Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is more accessible, and full of useful information.

I wish I had found The Midwifery Option several months ago. This book thoroughly explained the Canadian system of midwifery care. The status of midwifery care in Canada is in a constant state of development. Published in 2002, the information provided in The Midwifery Option is fairly up-to-date. This book's description of midwifery care in Calgary is very accurate. I was surprised to learn that Calgary is the only city in Western Canada where women have the choice of birthing in a hospital, a birth centre, or at home.

As the birth of our baby draws ever closer, I feel an urgency to learn and study as much as I can. These two books have helped me to gain increasing confidence in our decision to plan a homebirth. I would recommend them to any woman interested in midwifery care.


No comments: