Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The (.) (.) Blog

Last night after supper the chaos in our household was minimal. I thought I would take advantage of the (relatively) peaceful moment to make a few phone calls.

I dialed the number of our doctor's office, intending to make an appointment for our new baby's first check up. A friendly receptionist answered the phone.

I chatted for a few minutes and arranged an appointment time. The baby sat contentedly in her swing, the toddler played with his mini cars on the carpet, and my preschooler fiddled with a chunk of silly putty.

Just as I was finishing up my phone conversation, my preschooler ran up and proudly showed me his silly putty creation.

"Look Mommy!" he loudly exclaimed, "I made a nipple!"

Sure enough, there it was. An accurate nipple facsimile captured in gray silly putty. Who knew my young man had such artistic talent?

"Ummm," I stammered into the phone, "I sure hope you didn't hear that..."

"Hear what?" the receptionist replied with a smile in her voice.

............

This evening we bathed the boys, put on their pajamas, and all sprawled across our bed to read a Bible story. The baby sat in her bouncy chair at our feet.

As the story ended our baby girl began to fuss. My three-year-old, ever the helpful big brother, leaped to his feet.

As my husband and I quietly observed from across the room, my preschooler slowly lifted his pajama shirt and exposed his chest. He leaned in close to his newborn sister.

"Shhhh, don't cry," he cooed, "Look, here's my nipple. You love nipples!"

My husband and I nearly lost it trying to contain our silent laughter.

............

With a brand new baby in our house, I wonder what my impressionable, young preschooler has seen a lot of lately :-)

No comments: