Sunday, July 02, 2006

"I know where the dust bunnies live ... "

The state of my house is starting to bother me. Normally, I am a very picky housekeeper. I like my surroundings to be clean and orderly. At times I have been accused of being a "clean freak" (by certain husbands who shall remain nameless...).

My usual routine, for times when I don't have a newborn baby, is to do "zone cleaning". I generally don't clean the entire house in one day. Instead, I'll clean all the bedrooms one day, do the bathrooms the next, dust and vacuum the main level on a third day, and so on. I find this method breaks my housekeeping chores into manageable chunks, and the entire house stays reasonably tidy throughout the week.

However, my current housekeeping strategy could best be labelled "survival mode". Certain chores I try to do every day --- washing the dishes, picking up toys, laundry. Everything else has sort of fallen by the wayside.

Tomorrow I am hoping to take action. The dust on my poor piano is so thick my boys have been amusing themselves by "finger painting" with it. I am hoping to clean my entire main level in the morning --- dust, vacuum, clean the powder room, and scrub the stone floor.

Am I being too ambitious? Probably. But I can always pray that Baby takes an extra long nap tomorrow!

No comments: