Sunday, July 16, 2006

Juicy Fruit

The summer season is wonderful, and oh so short. I can hardly believe July is already half over.

One of the very best things about summer is the abundance of ripe, delicious fruit. Apricots, nectarines, plums and peaches, strawberries, blueberries, cherries and watermelon. Mmmm. My mouth waters just considering the possibilities.

Yesterday we went grocery shopping and came home with tons of tasty fruit. For lunch our family polished off a bag of cherries. At snack time we consumed an entire tray of strawberries. And at supper we ate a quarter of a watermelon for dessert. Every bite was sweet and juicy --- all the best fruit of the season.

Sometimes I wish summer could last forever. Our warm season is too short in this part of the world. Maybe this is the year I will ask one of my girl friends to teach me to make jam. Then my family can enjoy a taste of summer all year long.

No comments: