Monday, July 31, 2006

My Nightly Ritual

Here I sit, once again.

The boys have been in bed for more than an hour. Baby Girl is cradled, fussy and half-asleep, in my right arm. I type as best as I can with my free left hand. My trusty hand-me-down laptop is propped on a small table I've pulled up to the couch. The sun has recently set, and a few lamps cast my work space in a soft glow. A cool breeze blows in through the open patio door beside me.

This is my quiet time. I boot up my computer and check my favourite online comic, pay a few bills, and read my email. Ben often sits beside me, his feet propped on my table, his own notebook resting on his lap. Tonight I am on my own as Ben sweats at the gym. He should be home any minute.

I finally log on to Blogger and open a fresh page. I stare at the blank screen for a few minutes, collecting my thoughts. Some nights a million ideas for posts bounce around in my head. Other times, when I am especially tired, the empty computer screen glares back at me and my creativity seems non-existent.

I will finish my post, proof-read and publish it. If it's not too late I might check CBC news or crack open a novel for a few minutes. Baby Girl has finally fallen asleep and must be put down in her cradle. It's time to log off, close down, and clean up.

Tomorrow is a busy day, and it will arrive before I know it.

No comments: