Friday, July 21, 2006

My Silly Obsession

I've said it before, and it will forever be true --- I'm a neat freak.

In conversation a while back, my aunt dredged up a story about when I was a toddler. Apparently, I couldn't stand the sight of a messy pile of shoes at the door. I carefully arranged the shoes into orderly rows.

I now have a nice little shoe rack at my front door.

I am a firm believer in the old adage: "a place for everything and everything in its place". It simply makes sense! Clutter leaves me feeling stressed. If my surroundings are orderly I feel more peaceful and in control.

However, chaos often reigns in a house full of preschoolers --- and I hope to be a mom of many little ones. I think God is using my children to teach me to relax and prioritize.

Yes, God is a God of order. I believe He expects us to be good stewards of our possessions and to exercise discipline. At the same time, He wants our lives to be balanced. It is right and good for me to diligently perform my household chores. However, the world will not end if my spice rack isn't alphabetically organized.

I recently read the following quote in a La Leche League manual: "People come before things". There is nothing wrong with categorically organizing my sons' toys in nifty plastic bins. But a problem arises if I never take the time to play with my children and their toys. Spending time with my family and friends is far more important than having a perfectly clutter-free house.

No comments: