Friday, August 18, 2006

No Use Crying ...

Sometimes at the end of an especially long day Ben I will sprawl across our living room couches, exhausted. Raising three children under the age of four is tiring work. We ask ourselves, "Will we ever see the day when none of our children whine or cry? How many years will it be before a day passes without tears or a tantrum?"

My dear husband and I figure we will be waiting a long time before that precious day arrives. In the meantime, God is teaching us plenty about the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23). Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self control --- all these fruit need to grow within the heart of parents.

I was blessed, however, to enjoy an almost tear-free day today. This is saying something considering: a) my toddler is fighting a stubborn cold, b) Baby Girl received her first immunizations yesterday, and c) Ben has been away all day and for most of the evening.

I could hardly believe all three children woke up happy and smiling this morning, and that they continued to be in terrific moods all morning long. The baby contentedly slept in her swing, the boys played Lego together, and I was able to catch up on my housecleaning tasks. (It must have been a good day --- I even managed to finish the ironing!)

The kids were great right through lunch. They all went down for naps without a whimper, even our preschooler. I had enough quiet time to finish the novel I've been reading. This evening, Ben went out to a movie with his brother. I bathed all the children on my own, read the Bible and said prayers, and tucked them in for the night. The baby is asleep now, too, and I haven't heard a peep from any of them.

I did wipe a few tears today, but I believe this day was as close to perfect as it gets.

No comments: