Sunday, August 20, 2006

Love-Worn

My 21-month-old son loves snuggles. He is an extrovert and enjoys being around people. His fun-loving personality sparkles as he sings and dances through life. My boy is a joy.

My son also loves stuffed animals. The snugglier the animal, the better, as far as he's concerned! His crib is often filled with stuffies to cuddle and love. He likes almost any stuffed toy, but he does have a few favourites.

"La La" is his little stuffed lion. My son received La La from his Auntie Lori last Christmas. La La's mane is starting to get matted and his mouth is pulled off. My son sleeps with his lion almost every night.

My toddler also has a Beanie Baby cocker spaniel toy. This is his "little puppy". The little puppy is friends with his "big puppy", and the two stuffed dogs live together in his crib.

The big puppy toy is actually a fairly recent addition to my son's family of stuffed animals, though you wouldn't know it. I received the stuffy as a gift for our baby girl, but my toddler quickly claimed it as his own. Unfortunately, Puppy became soiled in the poo incident a few weeks ago and he required a long, hot bath in the washing machine.

He emerged from the laundry a changed dog. Where Puppy's fur was once long and soft, it is now flattened and matted. His nose is squished and his ears are lopsided. Puppy has a distinctly love-worn look. The toy has considerably more character now than it did before the encounter with the washing machine.

This morning my toddler insisted on bringing Puppy into church. As we took our seats, my son snuggled in his grandpa's arms. His blonde, little head rested on Grandpa's shoulder. He clutched his well-loved puppy by the ear.

Yes, my son loves his snuggles.

No comments: