Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Quiet Place

Last night we had some friends over for supper. We enjoyed a fun evening, eating and talking and watching our kids play together. At one point our conversation turned to a comparison of introverts vs. extroverts. I am firmly an introvert. My husband tends to be an extrovert. In the couple we entertained, the roles are reversed. In both cases, though, it seems that opposites attract.

How do I know that I am an introvert and my husband is not? At the end of a long, tiring day I crave solitude. I long to crawl into a cozy corner, curled up with a mug of tea and a good book. Ben, on the other hand, would be likely to phone up a friend and head out for coffee. When he's tired, he loves company and conversation.

I find myself requiring more quiet time these days. Our household is busy! If one child isn't crying, then the other needs his/her diaper changed, and the boys are playing sword-fight, while the baby demands her supper, at the same time as the phone is ringing and my head is spinning, and ... you get the picture. By the end of most days I am wiped.

So I've hatched a little idea. Now that Baby Girl is sleeping in her own room, we no longer need to keep her cradle in ours. I would like to move the cradle into our baby's room. Then, I have a small writing desk in storage downstairs. I plan to move the desk into the empty spot in our room and claim it as "my space". In the evenings when I need to retreat, I can go to my cozy nook and read, or work on my Bible study, or finish my Counterpoint homework.

It's a simple plan, but I like the feel of it. My study nook will be the perfect space to set up my laptop and work on my blog. Who knows? I may create my next post seated at a well-loved desk in a quiet corner of my bedroom.

Ahhhh ... introvert bliss.

No comments: