Friday, September 15, 2006

Building My House

I've been thinking about this verse all week:

The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
(Proverbs 14:1)

God knows that I want to become a wise woman, and by His grace I think He is gently showing me areas where I "tear down my house". Am I nagging my husband? Do I antagonize my kids? Am I too quick to grow angry? Do I mope or complain? How is my attitude?

I want to be genuine in my faith. I do not want to put forth a false face. I do not want to be the kind of woman who angrily yells at her children, habitually nags her husband, and then on Sunday morning puts on a smiling face and pretends that life is perfect.

I would like the Lindsay you see in public to be the same quiet woman of character you would see at home behind closed doors. No masks. No false fronts. Just Jesus --- His peace shining through my life, His grace and redemption.

I'm a sinner, no question. Every day shows me that I am far from perfect. I do yell at my kids, disrespect my husband, mope and complain and criticize. Thankfully, I serve a forgiving God. His Word says He is slow to anger and quick to forgive.

So, as hard as this process is, I pray that God will continue helping me to "build my house". I pray that He will help me to have a cheerful attitude even when I feel grumpy. I pray that He will help me to love my children even when I feel like yelling at them. I pray that He will help me to serve and respect my husband even when I feel annoyed with him.

I love my family very, very much. I want to show my love by serving them with a Christlike attitude. I want my children to learn to love the Lord, and I believe my life should be an example for them.

I pray that I will grow to be an old, wise woman, surrounded by my children and their children and their childrens' children --- all of them living for Jesus. Wouldn't that be awesome? That is the kind of house I want to build.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your comment concerning your wishes for your family. I share the same prayer filled wishes. Great site. Thanks, Chris.