Friday, September 15, 2006

Comfort Food for a Cold Day

I know, I know. I've shared a recipe nearly every day this week. However, this one is really good. I made it for the first time tonight and it passed the "Triple E" test with flying colours (easy, economical, and ... well ... edible).

Here's my latest offering. Enjoy this stew with homemade bread and coleslaw. Yum!

Lentil and Sausage Stew
(from Rose Murray's 125 Best Casseroles and One-Pot Meals)

1 C. red lentils
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
500 g Italian sweet sausage or farmer's sausage, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
3 C. sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
2 1/2 C. beef or chicken stock
2 tbsp. wine vinegar
1 small bay leaf
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 C. drained canned tomatoes
1 C. sliced zucchini
Pepper
1/4 C. chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

Sort and rinse lentils; set aside.

In large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook sausage for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.

Pour off all but 2 tbsp. fat from pan. Add carrots, onion, mushrooms and garlic; cook over medium heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in stock, vinegar, bay leaf, thyme, oregano and lentils; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add tomatoes, zucchini, and pepper to taste; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until lentils and zucchini are tender but still hold their shape. Discard bay leaf. Stir in sausage and parsley. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

(My husband has forced me to add this disclaimer to my post: this meal may be"flatulence inducing", if you catch my drift...)

No comments: