Saturday, October 14, 2006

Soft and Cozy

I love soft and cozy quilts and blankets. Nothing is better than snuggling down under a warm blanket on a cold winter night. And homemade quilts and blankets are even more special.

I'm continuing to work on my first major knitting project --- a textured afghan for our couch. The going is slow, but I believe that's kind of the point of knitting. I very much enjoy sitting down for an hour in the evening work with the yarn. So far I have completed one and a half squares of my afghan. I figure I'll do well to finish the project by spring!

On a related note, tonight I bought a very cute quilt for my daughter's bed. (Yes, she is just a baby and still sleeps in her crib. My sons will be getting bunk beds for Christmas, so my eldest's twin bed will reside in Baby Girl's room. She'll stay in her crib until she's big enough for the bed.) I had in mind to find a homey-looking quilt to match her Noah's Ark wallpaper border. I wasn't intentionally looking, but today I spotted the perfect quilt on sale at Quilts Etc. I am so pleased!

The quilt is a log cabin pattern with flowers around the border. Its colours are dusty pinks, blues, purples and greens. It came with a matching pillow sham as well. The comforter and sham were on sale for $39, and the store had about a dozen other designs to choose from. I am tempted to go back and buy another quilt for our own bed. (The queen-sized quilts were also only $39.) We are planning to decorate our master bedroom in a "contemporary urban cowboy" type of look, and a new quilt would suit it wonderfully.

This is the afghan I'm making...

No comments: