Wednesday, October 04, 2006

What Would You Do?

This evening I made a quick trip to Superstore. Because Ben has moved his office out of the house, I can't use our van to go shopping during the day. I've decided to try shopping in the evening after the kids are in bed. It is easier to get groceries without three little ones in tow.

Tonight I only had a few items to pick up at the store. I found a fleecy snowsuit for my baby, some milk, cereal, juice and crackers. I was looking for celery in the produce section when a young man approached me.

He was probably about twenty and, I have to admit, pretty cute. My first thought was, "He must be one of Matt's friends." (Matt is my brother-in-law). Why else would a cute young guy want to talk to me in Superstore?

(Then things got really awkward.)

"Hi!" he said, "Me and my buddy have a little bet going ..."

"Ummm, yes," I stammered, grasping the true situation. I'm sure I turned a million shades of red.

"Yeah, well, we need a female opinion. Who do you think lies more, men or women?"

I was totally tongue-tied. I frantically searched for a witty comeback, but all I could think was, "Do you know who you're talking to? I have a husband and THREE children waiting for me at home. I can't believe this is happening!"

I'm afraid the best response I could muster was, "I suppose I would choose men."

"Ah, come on," he egged me, "Men can't be that bad. We're not all liars."

"True enough," I thought, "But here you are feeding me cheesy lines. How much can I trust you?"

I finally gave up on playing the game and said, "Look, I don't know what the answer is. Maybe you will just have to ask my husband."

Now it was the guy's turn to feel flustered.

"Well, gee, it was only a question, " he huffed, and he beat a hasty retreat.

I breathed out a HUGE sigh of relief and turned back to my celery. When was the last time I had a guy hit on me? It's been a very, very looooooong time.

(I have to admit, it kind of gave my post-pregnancy, sleep-deprived, preschooler-chasing, wiping-spit-up-off-the-floor ego a nice little boost!)

No comments: