Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hip to be Square

I have a not-so-secret obsession I need to confess ... I love grids.

It may be weird, but I think squares, cubes and checkerboards are wonderful. I enjoy simple lines and regular patterns. The sense of order and serenity inherent in grids make me feel secure and organized. When I was in art school nearly all my paintings incorporated grid-like patterns. Even today, my home's decor is influenced by my obsession with squares.

I received an interesting board game for Christmas this year. It is called Blokus. We cracked it open for the first time this evening. I love inviting friends over to play board games. (I also think games make terrific gifts.) Tonight was fun because we combined three great factors --- an interesting game, a long-time friend, and a grid!

I've heard that Blokus has won many awards. It is a game of strategy, and reminds me a bit of Tetris. You may play the game online or on a board, and it's easy to learn. Check out the official Blokus website here.

This is what Christmas holidays are all about. Sitting in the middle of the living room rug while snow is falling outside the window, sipping hot tea, enjoying good conversation, and playing an engaging game.

And if grids are involved ... well, all the better!

No comments: