Saturday, January 20, 2007

"More Pancakes, Mommy!"

I learned three things at breakfast time this morning:

1. Pancake batter is easier to mix in a blender than by hand. It's less messy too.

2. Silicone spatulas are not indestructible. I should have known better than to let mine touch the whirling blender blades. (I hope my husband remembers that "nothing says 'I love you' like a new spatula".)

3. Small, hungry boys are capable of eating their own body weight in pancakes, if given the chance. My two-year-old consumed five. The four-year-old ate six.

Mom's Buttermilk Pancakes
(from Dining On a Dime, p. 48)

2 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. sugar
2 C. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 C. flour

In a bowl, mix first three ingredients. Stir soda into buttermilk in a measuring cup. Add to bowl. Lightly stir in baking powder and flour, just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Mixture will be thick and lumpy. Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat and lightly grease. Cook on a hot greased griddle. Flip when bubbles break on surface and the edges begin to dry. Makes 18-20 medium pancakes.

(Notes: I substitute whole wheat flour for white. Instead of real buttermilk I mixed 8 tbsp. powdered milk, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and enough water to make 2 cups.)


No comments: