Tuesday, February 13, 2007


The Virtues of Borax

I am falling in love with Linda Cobbs' Talking Dirty With the Queen of Clean. This book is jam-packed with helpful homemaking advice. (It also doesn't hurt that I received it free as a cereal box prize.)

Linda Cobbs shares numerous helpful tricks for using natural, common cleaning product such as lemon juice, baking soda and vinegar. She also discusses the many and marvelous virtues of borax.

Ahh ... humble borax! (Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate.)

You can find 20 Mule Team Borax in the laundry section of the grocery store. It comes in a green box. Borax rocks! It's a naturally-occurring mineral and is great for de-oderizing.

I've only recently added borax to my cleaning arsenal, but I have already found one terrific use for it --- borax helps my stinky, disgusting diaper pail smell fresh. I sprinkled half a cup of borax in a small plastic container and placed it in the bottom of the pail (under the plastic bag).

A quick solution that works for me!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very interested! :) Do you think borax works better than baking soda for odor elimination? I sprinkle baking soda on my diapers if they smell and I know it's going to be another day until I wash them.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I put borax in the diaper pail too, (I use cloth diapers) and then just dump it in with the wash load. It gets the diapers cleaner too. Several moms with grown kids who used cloth on their babies told me that secret when I was trying to learn how to use cloth diapers on my third son.

Jessica said...

I am adding this to my shopping list. I have tried just about everything (or so I thought) to try to get that nasty diaper pail smell away. I will try this now! Thanks!

Nikki said...

Great tip! I love Borax. I will try this in my diaper pail.

Anonymous said...

Ah, now here's an idea for me: "(under the plastic bag.)"

I do cloth dipes, and "modern" care id to avoid both Borax and (chlorine) bleach. I'm curious to try this.

Goslyn said...

I tried this, but it made no difference against my son's stinky poop. Did you do anything except just put the dry powder in the bottom of the pail?

Kimmy said...

Hey, Lindsay. Do you know if Borax helps eliminate pet odors as well? If so, please advise on what the best way to use it for that purpose. Thanks!

Jessica said...

I am going to get some Borax RIGHT.NOW! Thanks! I have 2 under 2 and stinky pails are the worst!

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great tip!

Thanks for sharing.

Linda

Amy said...

What a great idea! I hate the heavily perfumed liners they sell for diaper pails. Who really thinks those do anything but try to cover up the smell?

I'll have to check out Borax next time I'm at the grocery store. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have got to try this!
And I already have Borax here at home!
Wha-hoo!

Lindsay Inkster said...

Wow! I am overwhelmed by all your nice comments, ladies:-). In answer to a few questions ... I'm not not sure which is better at eliminating odors --- baking soda or borax. To eliminate pet odors you might want to try making a paste of borax and water. (Try it on an inconspicuous area first, in case it discolours fabric.) I just used plain, old dry borax flakes in the diaper pail. Also, Linda Cobb recommends a product called ODORZOUT for tough smells. She says it's available at PETsMART or at www.88stink.com. I've not tried ODORZOUT, but it is made from 100% natural ingredients and is suppposed to be safe for kids and pets.