Monday, May 07, 2007

The Big Day (Take 2)

(I think my Apple Blossom may require a trip to the computer hospital. She totally froze up as I was in the middle of my post. I had to do a hard shut down and lost all my writing. (Sigh.) Here goes my second attempt...)

This was a momentous day in the Inkster household. The contractor finally started work on our basement today. Hooray!

We are planning to turn our basement into a play area for the children. We will also have a small bathroom, two storage areas, and closet for the washer and dryer. We've hired a contractor to do all the work for us, from start to finish. (My husband is brilliant with computers. Unfortunately, he is slightly less skilled when it comes to wielding power tools.)

At the end of Day One I am feeling pretty good about the renovations. I'm amazed by how much the men accomplished in only one day. They ripped out all the old flooring, knocked down the walls, took out insulation, and trucked everything away to the dump. (Our basement was "half finished" when we moved in to this house.) First thing tomorrow the contractor will begin framing. The plumber is also slated to start roughing in the bathroom tomorrow, and the electrician may begin his work as well.

The kids were exceptionally good. The little ones even napped amidst all the construction noise. I was worried about keeping the boys away from the workmen, but they happily played upstairs or outside all day.

I can hardly believe we are actually getting our basement finished. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: